Free delivery on orders over £50 and only £5 on orders below

Your questions answered

From 1 July 2013 it was mandatory for manufacturers of construction products, including windows and doors, to apply a CE marking to their products as part of the Construction Products Regulation 2011 (CPR).

Following Brexit, the CE marking can no longer be used for products sold in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland). Instead a UKCA (UK Conformity Assessment) mark should be used.


However, the UKCA mark is not recognised in the EU, so products sold into the EU and Northern Ireland should be marked with the existing CE marking.


The technical requirements (‘essential requirements’) you must meet for the UKCA mark – and the conformity assessment processes and standards that can be used to demonstrate conformity – are largely the same as they were for the CE marking.


The circumstances in which you can use self-declaration of conformity for UKCA marking are the same as for CE marking - if you were able to self-declare conformity for the CE marking, you will be able to do the same for the UKCA marking.


The UKCA marking came into effect on 1 January 2021. To allow businesses time to adjust to the new requirements, in most cases, the CE marking can still be used until 1 January 2022.


The CE and UKCA marks show that the product has been assessed by the manufacturer and deemed to meet the relevant safety, health and environmental protection legislation.

What about existing manufactured products?

This does not apply to existing stock, for example if your product was fully manufactured, CE marked and ready to place on the market before 1 January 2021. In these cases, your product can still be sold in Great Britain with a CE marking even if covered by a certificate of conformity issued by a UK body before 1 January 2021. These goods will need to be placed on the market before 31 December 2021.

What about Northern Ireland?

The Northern Ireland Protocol came into force on 1 January 2021. For as long as it is in force, Northern Ireland will align with relevant EU rules relating to the placing on the market of manufactured goods.

What if I supply into UK markets as well as Northern Ireland/the EU?

Products will need to carry both UKCA and CE markings.


More information about supplying into Northern Ireland can be found here:

What does UKCA and CE stand for?

UKCA stands for UK Conformity Assessment. 

CE is Conformité Européenne which is French for European Conformity. 

Who is responsible for UKCA/CE marking?

Under CPR, the manufacturer* of a product must apply the UKCA and/or CE marking. 

The ‘manufacturer’ is classed as the company or individual that creates the finished ‘construction element’. In the case of windows and doors, this means the person who supplies the frame and glass. Therefore, all fabricators will need to apply UKCA/CE markings to their products. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

What do I need to do?

To comply with the new rules, you will need to:

1.Identify which market you sell into

2. Replace the CE mark with a UKCA mark if you are only selling in England, Scotland and Wales

3. Add the UKCA mark to your CE mark if you are selling into Great Britain and Northern Ireland/the EU

4. Add the appropriate mark(s) to every window or door you manufacture

5. Provide a ‘declaration of performance’ with each product as proof that it meets the required standards. If you use both marks, you will require two of these per product

6. If you are using your own testing body, you will need to check they are UK-approved for UKCA marked products and EU-approved for EU marked products

The marks must be visible (a minimum of 5mm, unless a different minimum dimension is specified in the relevant directive), legible and fixed to the product, a label, the packaging or accompanying documents. From 1 January 2023 the markings must be permanently attached.


The declaration of performance can either be provided to the customer as a paper copy, or electronically on a website. Each declaration of performance must have a unique number which corresponds to the CE or UKCA mark applied to each window or door.


How do I prove that my products meet the required standards?

The supplier of the individual components that make up your products (glazing units and frames) should be able to provide test results from a notified body confirming the performance of their products. Eurocell can provide this information for all of its PVC-U window and door systems.


Alternatively, you can send your own fabricated window and door models to a notified body for testing, allowing you to gain your own performance classifications for each product type.


Essentially, though, the responsibility for proving compliance can be cascaded back to the original component supplier.


However, it remains the responsibility of the product manufacturer* to apply the UKCA and/or CE mark and provide a declaration of performance for the finished product.

Where can I find out more?

The technical specialists at Eurocell are always happy to provide advice and information about regulatory compliance and UKCA/CE marking.

You can contact us on 0300 333 6525. For more information about the regulations, please visit:


* Manufacturer. This means the person who places a construction product on the market. In the case of windows this means the frames and glass. In the case of doors this means complete door sets, including hardware.

We use cookies on our websites. Learn more. Continue